Monday, June 23, 2014

I HIJACKED – IR SITUATION – DOWN MEMORY LANE




When I recap, there has been very interesting and exciting situation in handling Industrial relations at Coal Mines. Coal Miners are basically very strong & hard workers and they only knew how to take out coal to make their livelihood. They were paid on piece rated basis that means the amount of production they were earning. Very honestly their earning were very good and during 70’s earning good amount of money you can imagine how one could feel.
During the time, National Coal Wage Agreement Negotiation was going on demands were high and there was strong rumor that the Coal Mines where I was in charge, looking after Personnel may go on lightening strike. The message has gone to Head Quarters and obviously I was directed to ensure that the strike should not happen and the strategy for declaring strike by Union was to have early morning meeting around 7.00 A.M. and declare the strike which would continue and the meeting was to be held in front of Coal Mines Office.
Now as a Personnel Officer, I was very confused how to stop this. Directive was very clear from the top. The manpower strength of that mine was around 3000. I had already put in 4 years of service, I was thinking what can make this to stop. Then I strategized which was quite risky, but I decided to gamble. I hosted a party previous evening in a Hotel slightly away from Coal Mines and invited all the concerned along with the Union Leader, the Leader who was supposed to announce the strike the following day. We pretended to each other, as if we do not know the plan of strike and because of a good relationship with the Union Leader we really enjoyed and had a good drink and continued the party till Midnight. While I was internally feeling very uncomfortable, but professionally we wanted to avoid strike.
The party continued till late & my friend the leader was in high spirits and finally he himself requested that he want to stay back in the hotel as he couldn’t drive back that was in my favor. I made him comfortable to sleep in the room & next morning he was to announce the strike at 8.00 A.M., but he could get up only at 9.00 A.M. and could not reach the place. Thus the strike fizzled out because workers waited for him and finally went back to work. After getting up from Hotel he came back to meeting place, he was very embarrassed, I also felt bad and apologized for having such a long party, but we never showed who gained because of this.
I always felt Industrial Relation basically depends on relationship, but at the same time as a Professional HR we should have ability to develop “Intuitive Response” which helps at many times.
 

Disqus Shortname

Comments system