Wednesday, October 1, 2014

You can’t do it. He said





When I took charge in the Coal Mines, everything looked to be difficult and dangerous. Surprising, everyone felt that South Indian are intelligent but they cannot face challenges.

I was in charge of the Coal mines having 3000 work force with one year of my professional experience. The time office in charge was an old experienced man and was a strong supporter of one of the political party and the Superintendent attached to the Head of Mines was supporter of another party. To my surprise, when we introduced computerization, every month there were plenty of complaints and both time office in charge and superintendent will blame each other. I was totally confused how to handle this, because each one thought he is right and for me everything was new. I was really disturbed, sometimes I felt that they were enjoying fighting in front of me. Looking at me, as if the leader does not know anything and he is blank.

After debating this issue, I took a strong decision that I cannot succumb to such situation, started my job by early morning shift around 6.00 A.M. sitting in the attendance cabin and handling attendance system personally to understand the cause, this I did in all the 3 shifts. They were not happy, why this Officer is coming and sitting in the attendance cabin. This continued for a week and when the month end came the attendance process to start, I temporarily shifted myself to time office till complete attendance process was done and I checked each and every attendance personally. They were showing their unhappiness and also blamed me by telling Sir you don’t believe us. I told them, I fully believe you I just want to learn the process. Honestly by this on site intervention, doing the job myself the complaint of wrong booking and wrong salary which used to come more than 300 to 400 came down to 10 or so. Management was very happy and gave me appreciation, but one thing I understood that in life if you want to be successful and One up not Two down then, “Do it yourself” Frankly from that day onwards no one can misguide and make me to get confused.

Life is an experiential learning. Leadership is owning by involving. Respect is through achievement and be an example by doing it yourself. I enjoyed the above and still continuing to enjoy.

Disqus Shortname

Comments system