Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Spirituality – A ritual of keeping the spirit in you alive!



Making some me-time everyday is good for mental well-being


“Sir, how can you be smiling and stay calm even in the most stressful situations? Is spirituality the key to your positive attitude?”. A colleague asked me this question recently. Yes, I do believe in spirituality but my understanding of this word may vary from the popular definition of spirituality. According to me, spirituality is nothing but a ritual of keeping the spirit in you alive. The spirit to fight challenges, overcome stressful situations, foster positive attitude and most importantly the spirit to live life honestly by being true to your self is spirituality. This is no rocket science and it’s certainly not something that I have learnt from a mystic or a swami. I take a couple of minutes break everyday to spend time with myself. A little bit of introspection and observation helps me in recognizing the negative forces and situation around me. Over the years, I have learnt that a clear mind can quickly decipher the bad from the good whereas a cluttered mind can give rise to fear, hatred, jealousy etc.

“Where is your fighting spirit gone?” you may have heard this dialogue in a movie or read it somewhere. But how many of us ask ourselves this question when a difficult situation arises in our lives? Buckling under pressure and allowing negative attitude to grow in your mind can dampen the ‘fighter spirit’ in you but sadly this is a trend that is spreading like wildfire across all age groups today. Working professionals are stressed out and so are children who feel tensed in their pursuit of academic excellence. I am not imploring to practice spirituality but instead just take a few minutes break everyday and observe.

You will also become aware to the effect people have on you just by monitoring your thoughts. We should be conscious of our own reaction when we are around people. For instance, when we are with one person we may find there is a high degree of comfort and positive vibes, but at the same time with some one else, we may find ourselves thinking how difficult things or how difficult life is or so to say surfacing of negative thoughts. Therefore it is always suggested that we must closely scrutinize our train of thoughts when we are with people and more so when we spend time alone. It’s prudent to be conscious and keep our mind strong to enjoy the serenity of feeling and emotion.

Looking at the world around you with an uncluttered mind can help you view and absorb things with precision. But if negative thoughts are overriding your mind then it can easily defeat the ‘fighting spirit’ in you. Our mind should be strong and in shipshape; only then we can emerge victorious even in the most stressful times. Observe, Absorb and Introspect in an unbiased way and slowly you will pave your way towards clarity. This is my daily ritual to keep the ‘spirit’ in me alive and kicking! This mantra has worked for me and through this blog I hope to pass it on to all my well wishers and detractors (if any)!

Disqus Shortname

Comments system